Enrichment for Humans: Lemur Ice Cream
What could be better on a hot summer day than some delicious ice cream? This recipe is for a lemur-friendly frozen treat, with options to add all the flavors of Madagascar—vanilla, cocoa, pineapple, or even coffee! Go wild, and stay cool!
Lemur Ice Cream Recipe
- Blender or food processor
- 3 ripe bananas
- Flavoring options: coconut milk, frozen pineapple, cocoa powder, vanilla bean or extract, brewed coffee (cold). Lemurs would also like peanut butter, even if it doesn’t come from Madagascar!
- Peel, slice and freeze 3 ripe bananas.
- Once they are frozen through, add bananas to a high-speed blender. (For less powerful blenders, add coconut milk or other liquid—we recommend fruit juice or plant-based milk)
- Add Madagascar-inspired flavors. Feel free to combine multiple flavors!
- Coconut, add 1/2 cup coconut crème or coconut milk. Coconut flakes optional.
- Pineapple: substitute one banana for 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks.
- Chocolate: add ¼ tsp vanilla and 3 tsp cocoa powder.
- Vanilla: add ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Coffee: add ½ cup cold brewed coffee (or less for a more subtle flavor)
- For soft-serve style ice cream, eat immediately. For scoopable ice cream, pour into a container and freeze 1-2 hours.
- Top with lemur-friendly “sprinkles” like coconut, dried fruit, or nuts!