For the most current list of positions available at the Duke Lemur Center, please visit the Duke University Careers website and search by requisition number or keyword “lemur.”
If a position listed below is no longer listed on the Duke Jobs website, then the position has been closed (an applicant hired).
Thank you for your interest in working at the Duke Lemur Center!
Partial list of job responsibilities
- Work with animal care staff and veterinary team to implement a preventive medicine program that includes quarantine, routine exams, disease monitoring, parasite control, vaccinations, tuberculin testing, dental prophylaxis, and nutrition.
- Collaborate with colleagues and local veterinary and medical specialists on clinical cases as needed.
- Participate in dialogue with the curator and animal technicians about animal care and welfare, nutrition, breeding, husbandry, and housing.
- Participate in maintaining standards and regulations of AZA, AAZV, USDA, OSHA, AAALAC and other regulatory agencies and associations as they apply to zoological institutions and veterinary programs/facilities.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations relating to animal care, transport, treatment, and the handling of controlled substances.
- Teach and mentor visiting veterinary students, technicians, and interns.
- And much more! Visit the Duke University careers website for more details.
Education and experience (partial list)
- 5 or more years of veterinary experience with 3 years minimum of exotic animal medicine experience is required, preferably in a zoological facility. Internships and Residency programs included.
- DVM or VMD or equivalent from an accredited School of Veterinary Medicine.
- USDA category II accreditation to certify health for interstate and international transport of animals.
- License to practice veterinary medicine in the State of North Carolina within 3-months of hire date.
- For additional info and requirements, please visit the Duke University careers website.
Learn more and apply online by searching for Requisition #401281188 on the Duke University careers website.