Thank you for your interest in the Duke Lemur Center. Please call (919) 489-3364 ext.0 or (919) 401-7240 to make your reservation today! All tours are by appointment only and are conducted seven days a week. We look forward to hosting your visit. If you leave a voice message, please give our staff up to 48 hours to return your call.
An ideal tour for families and friends, learn about the similarities and differences between lemur species and what makes lemurs some of the most fascinating animals in the world. Visitors will typically observe about 10 different species of lemurs. Bring your camera, as you will be amazed by these wonderful creatures!
- Tour length: appx. 60-90 Minutes
- Offered: All year
- Adults – $10.00
- Children – (3-12) $7.00
- Children – (2 and under) FREE
- Seniors – (65+ )$7.00
- College/University Student w/ ID $7.00
- Military w/ ID $7.00
- Duke Employee w/ ID $8.00
- Group Rate (10+ participants) – $7.00 (chaprones count as participants with school groups)
- Tour times: 10:30 , 1:00, and 2:30 ( exceptions can be made with enough notice to ensure proper staffing)
Behind the Scenes (over for the season)
Would you like a close up view of the lemurs and to experience the Center as only staff do? Please join us on a tour of our updated facility and see how the Center funtions on a daily basis. The is a perfect tour for the cooler weather!
- Fees: $65/person
- Tour length: 60 minutes
- Offered: Oct 17th-April 30th
- Age requirement- 10 years and older
- Maximum Group Size- Eight participants
Walking with Lemurs
Enter the world of the lemur as your guide escorts you where there are no barriers between you and the animals. Be sure to bring your camera as this experience offers views of the animals unlike any other.
- Tour length: 60 Minutes
- Offered: May 1 -Oct 15th
- Fees: $95.00 per participant
- Age Requirement: 10 years through Adult
- Maximum group size – Eight Participants
Learning with Lemurs
Join us for a lemur training and research session to see how we teach the animals behaviors that allow us to give them the very best of care. Guests on this exclusive tour participate in the session and assist animal care staff as they demonstrate the use of positive reinforcement to care for the animals.
- Tour length 60-90 minutes
- Fees: $150.00 per participant
- Offered- All year
- Age Requirement: 12 years through Adult
- Maximum group size – Two Participants
Lemur keeper for a day
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a Lemur Keeper? Well, find out! Join one of our amazing lemur caretakers for a day and experience the life of a keeper first-hand. You will be involved in all aspects of the daily husbandry of our endangered prosimian primates here at the DLC. Help us prepare diets, clean, feed, enrich, and whatever else happens that day (lemurs ALWAYS keep you on your toes)! You will have a behind the scenes experience that only staff members ever do. So put on your cleaning boots, grab a hose AND your camera, and romp through the forest for a day with the lemurs! This will be an experience you will never forget!
- Fee: $350 per participant
- Duration 12:00pm-4:00pm
- Offered- All year
- This experience is by appointment ONLY! Please call 919.401.7240 to schedule your day with the lemurs!
- Participants must be at least 13 years old
Painting with Lemurs
Lemur Van Gogh? No, but close. We here at the DLC consider it abstract art! Experience the Lemur Center through a different medium. Join us on this exclusive tour and learn more about the Duke Lemur Center’s behavioral enrichment program. This tour will not only take you behind the scenes into one of our new lemur housing areas, but also highlight some of the activities the staff here at the Center can do to improve the daily lives of our lemurs. Painting is an activity the lemurs enjoy, and something different added to their normal routine. Participants on this tour will get to choose up to three different colors of paint (all non-toxic, water based tempura) and observe the lemurs making their masterpiece first hand! The best part of the whole experience is that you get to bring the canvas home with you!
- Tour duration: 60 minutes
- Maximum participants: 2
- Age Requirement: 10 and above
- Offered: year-round (afternoons @ 1:30)
- Cost: $95 per person