Just because we have to keep our distance, doesn’t mean we have to stay inside! Join the Duke Lemur Center for our very own Stay Away 5k, with all proceeds benefiting lemur care and conservation!
Register below, then run – or walk – a 5k, by yourself, on May 30 or 31. Your $30 registration fee benefits lemurs AND includes a Stay Away 5k commemorative t-shirt and decal printed with the winning designs from our T-shirt Design Contest, selected from over 60 entries and over 1,500 votes!
What’s a Stay Away 5k? Watch this video of Greg Dye, Executive Director of the DLC, and DLC mascot Maky showing you exactly how to do it!
The race is on the honor system, but we would LOVE for you to share your photos! Email images of you running or walking your Stay Away 5k to our Director of Communications, Sara Clark (email@example.com), and we’ll post them on the DLC’s social media channels the weekend of the race!
With the center’s closure due to COVID-19, your support means more than ever! Donations through this event will help us to make up for revenues that we would have otherwise generated from spring and summer site tours and fundraisers. Gifts through this virtual race will support our care and conservation of lemurs, the most endangered mammals on Earth!
Registering a team of 7+ people? You could win a private tour valued at $900! Remember to enter your team’s unique code in the comments section of the form! Check out this video, and see more detailed instructions in the “Build a running team” section below.
I’d like to register and
I’d like to receive a commemorative t-shirt and decal*
CLICK HERE to register ONE person for the Stay Away 5k ($30; please add your t-shirt size in the “Reservation Names” box)
CLICK HERE to register TWO people for the Stay Away 5k ($60; please add your t-shirt sizes in the “Reservation Names” box)
I’d like to register but
I don’t need a t-shirt/decal or I do not live within the U.S.**
CLICK HERE to register ONE person for the Stay Away 5k ($30; leave the “Reservation Names” box empty and no t-shirt will be sent)
CLICK HERE to register TWO people for the Stay Away 5k ($60; leave the “Reservation Names” box empty and no t-shirts will be sent)
*If you choose to receive a t-shirt, the tax receipt you will receive from Duke University will show your total payment less the value of the t-shirt as goods and services ($8 per person), and the resulting value of your tax-deductible donation.
**T-shirts and decals can be mailed only to U.S. addresses, including Alaska and Hawaii. We regret that we cannot ship to addresses outside the U.S.
Build a running team… and win!
Teams that run together have fun together! Build a running team and help support lemur care and conservation! Two lucky teams will win a private tour for up to 10 participants to see the lemurs in the forest (value $900; ages 10+). To enter, here is what you need to do:
- Since this is a Stay Away 5K, your team can consist of anyone in the world! Family, friends, running team, co-workers, book club, etc.
- Create a unique code that will be used exclusively to track registrations from your team. Code should be out of the ordinary to ensure another team does not create the same code (example: Team5$^9, ###479, TeamLi$@)
- Go to https://lemur.duke.edu/5K/ to enter. Team members can register individually or in pairs using the links in the “Register now” section above, but in the comments section of the form, each registrant must enter the team’s unique code. Codes must be EXACT for each team registration.
- To qualify, teams must have a minimum of seven registrations with the identical team code.
- More registrants = more chances to win! Each registrant for your team = one entry for the drawing. For example, if your team has eight members register, then that team will have eight chances to win. If your team has 20 members register, than the team will have 20 chances to win!
- NOTE: The DLC tour has a maximum of 10 participants – but your out-of-town team members can increase your chances of winning while also helping to raise money for lemur care and conservation!
- The winners will be announced on Friday, June 5, 2020. Winners can redeem their private tours at a future date when the DLC is again open to the public.
If you forgot to include your t-shirt size, email it to Melissa Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about your donation, please reach out to our development officer, Mary Paisley, at email@example.com. All other questions, including those related to the t-shirt design contest, should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Huge thanks to Blue Lizard Screen Printing, Inc. of Durham, NC for providing the t-shirts and decals for our race!